Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why no photos.

I haven't posted for quite a while for several reasons.
Firstly I fell and broke my leg in three places a week and a half ago. This severely limits my mobility as I live up a large flight of stairs.
But more importantly I have been observing the weather conditions to the north and south of Australia and thinking a lot about the enormous power of weather that we will never tame or control.
Having been in Brisbane for the 1974 floods I still remember the feelings of loss, isolation and camaraderie as we had communal meals with those who had no power. I remember tucking my skirt in my knickers to wade through water to go to work because I worked in a government office which gave aid to flood victims and victims of Cyclone Tracy. But these were not relentless floods accompanied by weeks (not days) of torrential rain.
Three thousand kilometers away protracted heat waves, strong winds and dry vegetation provide the conditions which result in an inferno which claims lives and leaves thousands homeless. One reporter hesitantly compares the scene to a war zone.
All of which makes me think as I lie on my comfortable bed, working on my laptop, having just used the remote control to turn on the air conditioner because the laptop makes my legs hot, that we lead such sheltered lives in our domestic cocoons.
I think a lot about how we are just a small part of the system, with the knowledge and resources to destroy ecosystems and visit the moon but not contain fire. About how until we are faced with chaos, loss and despair we probably have no idea what it might be like to live in a war zone, be homeless or lose the ones we love to a force we cannot control or understand.

No comments: