Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blue skies

I'm not sure that I've been listening more intently this last week or just that constant comments on the weather from many people and conversations has accumulated in my mind. After a week of sunshine, warm to hot days, some with out a cloud in the sky; I've noticed two view points in conversation. The majority of comments have been along the lines of ....'Thank goodness for the sunshine, I'll take this heat any day over the rain, we don't want any more rain'.... a smaller proportion of comments have lamented the return of heat with clear sunny days. This week it would seem conversation about weather is not just the stuff of passing comment or a polite word between strangers; it's become a topic of genuine merit.

This got me thinking about what we wish for in weather, what is the perfect day? 24 degrees? sunshine? Perhaps a light shower over night and cool air for sleeping? What would it be like if every day was the same? Without seasons, what would our food be like? plants? clothes? Variation is at the heart of life, and although we would all like to live without the extremes of recent events, I can only imagine monotony without the daily changes. Change is one of the ultimate certainties in life, as long as the earth keeps spinning.

1 comment:

Susan Buret said...

Ideal Day? my first reaction is 18˚C with clear skies. But, hang on, I like grey skies and mist and I love a good cold night. But if it didn't warm up I couldn't grow veges. I think it's a good thing that, in general, the weather is often a bit of a surprise. (cataclysms excluded)